The most important rule on the server is the basis of all the other rules, and can be stated thusly:
- Don't be a jerk.
You know when you're being a jerk, so don't do it. If you follow this guideline, you will likely be just fine.
For completeness, however, here's the rest of the rules:
Do not grief.
Griefing is any action that causes grief, including (but not limited to):
Note that this rule is slightly relaxed in a pvp area.
- Destroying/defacing property other than your own.
- Preventing access to property other than your own.
- Taking other people's things
- Destroying the landscape
- Killing other people
- Spamming chat
- Anything else that might be declared by a moderator or administrator.
- Do not circumvent protection.
Even if you find a loophole or exploit to enter a restricted area or some such thing, do not use or abuse it.
Do not spam chat.
Any of the following will be dealt with in an immediate, decisive and permanent way:
- Commercial advertising
- Advertising an unrelated server
- Any kind of pornographic content
- Hate speech, slurs, etc
- Homophobic speech, slurs, etc
- Sexual harassment, etc.
- Random garbage (eg, mashing the keyboard)
- Anything repeated frequently (repeating the same thing over and over)
Do not cheat or hack the server.
We have a zero-tolerance policy on cheating, and if you are caught doing it, you will be banned. This includes (but again, is not limited to):
- Any other thing that is not supposed to be possible in Minecraft.
- Do not attack other players in non-pvp areas.
Yes, buckets of lava are inherently funny. But, pouring them on other people is not.
- Do not whine or complain about a moderator action.
Abuses of power are not tolerated, but the odds are good that the moderator acted in their best judgement.
- Do not whine or complain about an administrator action.
They are the highest court, and if you anger them, that's your problem.
The staff have to follow the above rules too, as well as enforce them. They also have an additional set of rules to follow thanks to their position of extra privilege.
Do not abuse your powers.
Administrators are, of course, exempt from any of that. However, severe abuses will be frowned upon.
- Do not spawn items for personal gain, or for anyone else's personal gain.
- Do not enchant items for personal gain, or for anyone else's personal gain.
- Do not cheat, or allow others to cheat, even if you are able to.
- Do not ban, kick, mute, demote or do anything else to a member unless they are breaking a rule.
- Do not bypass protection, even if you are able to.
- Do not lord over other members.
- Do not use your powers to favour others.
This is a specialized version of the previous rule, but I wish for it to be emphasized here.
- If a member is in trouble, and you are able to help them, do it.
If you are not able to help them, escalate it to someone who can.
- If a member is breaking the rules, and you are able to stop them, do it.
If you are not able to stop them, escalate it to someone who can.